Highlight of the Week
The Sock Hop is here and the students are ready! The children have been asking me for months when this favored event would arrive and they expressed their excitement throughout the day. We hope your family will be able to join us this evening from 5:30-7:30 for a cakewalk, face painting and most of all dancing! We thank the PTO and our many volunteers for making this event possible.
Students' Artwork Displayed at the ArtFair
Reading Assessment Development
This month teachers have been focused on creating grade level assessments that they will use next year to assess students’ ability to demonstrate mastery of key reading strategies. Creating these common assessments provided teachers with additional clarity regarding what it looks like for students to demonstrate higher level reading strategies. For example, teacher teams have discussed in depth what it looks like to determine importance, infer, or use clues from the text and background knowledge to read between the lines and synthesize or reflect on how one’s thinking changed over time given new information. We look forward to continuing this work throughout April by analyzing how the assessments progress across the grade levels.
Mark Your Calendar
· Earth Day will be recognized at GRE on Monday, April 22nd. Students can wear green.
· Parent input regarding your child’s class placement for next school year must be submitted to the principal in writing by Thursday, April 25th.
· No School – Friday, April 26
· Open enrollment is open from now until August 15, 2013. Please note that if you moved outside of our school’s boundaries you must open enroll for next school year.
· Kindergarten Round Up is May 16th from 6:30-7:30. Round Up is an opportunity for our future Gold Rush students to explore their new surroundings and meet the kindergarten teachers. If you know families with incoming kindergarten students who have not enrolled for next school year please encourage them to contact the school office.
Drop Off & Pick Up Reminders
· Please pull all the way up to the first staff member when dropping off or picking up your child.
· Please remain in your car when dropping your child off.