Click here to here fifth grade students talk about what's new at Gold Rush in the month of January.
Seventeen fourth and fifth graders participated in Gold Rush’s spelling bee on Friday. All of the students did an exceptional job and we congratulate them all! Dallas will represent Gold Rush at the District level.
2013-2014 School Goal Update
Winter is a great opportunity to provide you with an update on our school goals. As you recall, we used our 2013 state TCAP data to create our school improvement plan. Our data showed many celebrations, including our continued ability to meet academic achievement goals in all content areas. Gold Rush also continued to meet growth targets as outlined by the state. As part of best practice we did identify areas where we could improve and selected them as our goals for this year. In addition to lowering class sizes in grades 3-5, we focused on meeting students’ individual needs in writing and math.
Teachers across grades K-5 have been studying national expert Lucy Calkin’s writing curricula since the beginning of the year. While finishing the initial unit on narrative writing, classroom teachers planned for a new unit of study focused on informational writing. Informational writing focuses on nonfiction topics and allows students to generate new ideas about real topics. This is what we do in real life! Teachers are really excited to start teaching this genre of writing this month.
This month we are also measuring how each child is progressing in the area of math. In the beginning of the year all students were given the MAP math assessment. We are currently administering this assessment again to students in grades 2-5 to ensure that they are making appropriate growth. In addition to providing math information sessions at all grade levels, each grade level identified additional enrichment and intervention opportunities. Teachers will use this data to plan for each student for the rest of the year.
I will continue to provide math and writing updates in future blog entries. As always, please do not hesitate to contact the principal directly if you would like additional information regarding our TCAP data, school goals or curricula initiatives.
Focus for the Teacher Workday on 1/17
The district is hosting a day of learning for all teachers. Keynote speaker, Marc Prensky, will talk to the district about digital natives. Teachers will then attend different sessions on 21st century skills, differentiation, reading and more!
6th Grade Parent Orientation Night
Cimmaron is hosting a parent orientation evening on Wednesday, January 15th for all current 5th graders. The schedule is as follows:
* 6:00-6:30 Advanced Placement meeting @ the Library (optional)
* 6:30-7:30 Registration information @ the Commons
· Please follow the no left turn when exiting the parking lot.
· Pre Registration forms for 2014 2015 will be in Thursday Folders this week. Please fill out and return by 1/24/2014 so we can plan for next year's enrollment.
· Check your child’s report card again for comments and the performance descriptors.
· Pre-school Roundup Registration is taking place at the end of January- Registration forms and additional information can be found online at www.dcsdk12.org. You can also pick up forms at your elementary school, or at the ECE Centers. Registration paperwork must be returned in person to the ECE Centers.
· Register your child for kindergarten for next year in the main office.
We are looking for photos for the yearbook. If you have any great shots from classroom or school events please email them to GREPhotos@gmail.com. or drop a CD off in the PTO mailbox in the front office. If possible please include information regarding the name of the event and students.
PTO Community Night
· Come to Chick-Fil-A on January 16 and part of the proceeds will be donated to the school! Feel free to come in your pajamas and participate in the pillow fight with the cow!
Upcoming Family & Community Events
· National Western Stock Show, Jan 11- 26
· Denver Nuggets- Jan 25, 7:00PM
· Peter Pan, the Musical- Feb 1 7:30PM